Friday, May 31, 2013

Thoughts on Practice

I recently came across this quote by the violinist Sir Yehudi Menuhin:
"There is no such thing as a difficult piece of music. A piece is either impossible or easy. The process whereby it migrates from one category to the other is known as PRACTICING." ~ Sir Yehudi Menuhin
I like this quote. But, I like a lot of quotes. The process of encapsulating an idea into a rather short, memorable series of words is appealing to me. I think that is why I enjoy Twitter as well (@GraftonBAND)

Back to the quote...

What Sir Yehudi is trying to say is pretty self-explanatory. That being said, next year we will play some music that will be impossible for some of you when we begin the year. I am not going to sugar-coat it. Many of you will struggle. The group will struggle. But...

What we will accomplish as a group is not doing the impossible but rather changing the impossible. That is what practice is all about. We will accomplish this together. I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment